Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Sweet Beginning


















To begin this new blog, I wanted to start with this bar cookie recipe. I found it in a magazine years ago, tore out the page and saved it in my recipe file, and there it stayed until a few months ago. I wish I had tried it sooner, as it is one of my favorites now. It originally called for shortening, but I use butter instead. I like to make bar cookies because I only have to time them and take them out of the oven once! Read over the whole recipe before beginning, and here goes…

Butter-Nut Chewies

1/2 cup of melted butter
2 cups light brown sugar, firmly packed
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup chopped nuts

Measure flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and stir to combine. In a larger bowl, beat the eggs until they are about double in size (will only take a minute or so), and foamy. Add the brown sugar and vanilla and then the butter a little at a time. Beat until mixture is creamy. Add the flour mixture half at a time til incorporated. Stir in a cup to a cup and a half of your favorite nuts, or a mixture. I've tried it with cashews and almonds, and we like them both, but I prefer the almonds myself. Pecans, walnuts, whatever you have in the pantry would be good! Next time I may try adding a few raisins. The dough will be stiff. Pour the dough into a greased 13" x 9" x 2" baking pan and spread it out evenly. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes. It should be golden brown. Let it cool a bit so it will be easier to cut into squares.

I have sewing, cooking, re-doing and other do it yourself projects lined up, so stay tuned!

See all the goodies at the link parties at http://www.everydaytastes.com/, and www.notjustahousewife.net!
The 36th Avenue
Photobucket


Gussy Sews Inspiration Workshop!Photobucket
Visit thecsiproject.com


4 comments:

  1. yum!Love it.

    Found you via showmewhatyagot and hope you’ll swing by! I have a great giveaway today:

    http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2011/10/more-stencil-splendor-giveaway.html

    best to you.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks michele! I'll pay you a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great first blog post, the chewies look delicious, welcome to the blogging world.

    thanks for linking up to It's a Keeper Thursday I am co-hosting this week and hope you will stop by for a visit.

    ps: be sure to link back to It's a keeper thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks, Jenna! I have your button on my sidebar!

    ReplyDelete